The UN Resident Coordinator Office
The UN Resident Coordinator’s Office (UNRCO) supports the UN Resident Coordinator in her roles to work with UN entities to improve the impact, efficiency and effectiveness of the UN’s operational activities for development at the country level.
As designated representative of the UN Secretary-General, the RC in Malawi leads and strategically positions the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) in support of national priorities, development strategies, and plans.
The UNRCO in Malawi provides inter-agency coordination support to the UN Country Team (UNCT) and its various sub-groups (Programme Management Team - PMT, Operations Management Team - OMT and UN Communications Group - UNCG). The support includes strategic planning, programme and operations management, policy guidance, data management and results reporting as well as knowledge management, advocacy and communications – all seeking to enhance UN coherence and improve overall programme impact to better achieve development results.
The UN Resident Coordinator in Malawi
Ms. Maria Jose Torres Macho is the United Nations Resident Coordinator for Malawi. She started her mission in Malawi in January 2018. She has over 27 years experience in the UN.
Previously, she served as the UN Senior Post Conflict Adviser and the Head of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in Colombia, as well as the Deputy Head of Office for OCHA in the occupied Palestinian Territory. She has worked for UNDP, UNHCR and DPA in places like Rwanda, Guatemala, Somalia and New York.
Maria Jose studied Law in Spain and holds a Master of European Studies from Pontificia University of Salamanca, a Master of International Relations from Free University of Brussels, and a Master of International Humanitarian and Human Rights Law (LLM) from Essex University.
Meet the Team in the UN Resident Coordinator's Office in Malawi
- Max Bonnel, Head of UN Resident Coordinator’s Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sabina Lauber, Senior Human Rights Adviser: email@example.com
- Clever Nyathi, Conflict Prevention Adviser: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chimwemwe Msowoya, Development Coordination Officer (Partnerships and Development Financing): email@example.com
- Rudolf Nkhata, Development Coordination Officer (Data Management, and Results Monitoring and Reporting): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phillip Pemba, Development Coordination Officer (Programme Communications and Advocacy): email@example.com
UN Staff in Malawi
There are over 700 staff of the United Nations in Malawi, working with about 20 UN entities that are active in Malawi to contribute towards ensuring a better life for the people of Malawi. For more details about UN staff deployment in Malawi per agency and where they work, see this UN Staff Deployment Map for Malawi.